Friday, March 19, 2010

March 19th 2010 – The Hours are Counting Down

8:00 a.m.

By this time tomorrow I will be on a bus on my way to San Salvador to the ‘Terminal Oriente’ (the Eastern Bus Terminal). From there, my friend Alfredo will pick me up in the large microbus at about 10 so we can be at the airport by 11.

Our medical delegation arrives at noon. But I need to get there earlier to ask for permission to enter the airport to talk with the customs people about the medicines they are bringing in. I need to do this before they land. I STILL don’t have the papers in my hands but Cecilia went to San Salvador this morning to get them.

Once the medical brigade gets here, it will be basically non stop. At least for them. I try to stay out of their way or help when I can. I try to determine first if I will actually be a help or a possible hindrance – they are such an organized group and have been working together (many of them) for years and have a great system of working together.

But it will be hectic. Organized chaos. All week. We have four canton clinics and one clinic here in Berlin. Last year they served over 1100 people. They are absolutely incredible.

So today – I’ll try to get totally caught up with things. Clear the desk of loose ends… maybe write a few generic blogs to post during the week in case I don’t have time to actually sit at the computer. I’ve already done my laundry so I’m off to a good start.

No comments: