Friday, March 19, 2010

March 18th 2010 – Sad Day

Alisha left today. The stinker had an outgoing flight at 9 a.m. which meant we had to leave the house at 5 this morning …

And of course I had a hard time falling asleep last night. I think I’ve been just so wound up with a bunch of relatively stressful things: coffee contract negotiations, a two day delegation mid week, worrying about the medicines getting approved for our medical delegation, as well as the normal every day stuff … well. It’s been a busy couple of weeks. I think I’m just overly tired and my brain has a hard time shutting down sometimes.

And it was really hard to wake up this morning … I had my alarm set for 4:15. Uck. I was awake (sort of) even before the Patron Saint Festival noise makers!!!

It’s a little over two hours to get to the airport from here driving on decent, but windy mountain roads. And it is DARK out at 5 in the morning! Kind of cool though. There were lots of stars out. We picked up two walking women on their way home. Not sure where they were coming from at that hour of the morning!

Alisha was sort of quiet as well as talkative. She had some last minute questions – I couldn’t tell you what they were though … the whole day is like a blur. She got really quiet the closer we got to the airport. Actually, she kept dozing off.

It was VERY hard to see her go. She was a bit weepy. I certainly understand that feeling. She was here for 5 weeks and learned a lot. She really got a chance to get to know the Pastoral Team – especially the ladies. The Pastoral Team, one and all, grew to love her. Actually, it didn’t take very long for that to happen.

Alisha has a quirky and fun sense of humor … she is a hard worker … she did her own laundry … picked up after herself … pitched in … wanted to experience things of importance to the Team (like walking to each of their cantons!) She only missed one day of school and that was at their suggestion so she could attend the special mass in Alejandria.

She is already missed. But I know she’ll be back someday.

1 comment:

Alisha Lundberg said...

Yeah, that was a long day. I went to bed at 1am that night and woke up at 4:30am. That’s why I kept falling asleep in the car. Next time I’ll cough up the money for a later flight, but I really wanted to experience driving at 5 in the morning. Thanks for not sending me by horse to the airport. I can’t wait to go back! I miss you too! Hopefully I’ll be back soon!