Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Way too long

Sorry all – it’s been a long time since I’ve written. The excuses are: my trip home to visit my family for 2 weeks from the last week of December to the first week of January. Then I only had a couple of days to catch up before the first delegation of 13 arrived – then the very day after they left, a delegation of 12 arrived. I brought them to the airport at 4 a.m. on Tuesday and I pretty much haven’t stopped since (except a much needed hour and a half nap on Tuesday afternoon).

Today started with an hour and a half 6 a.m. drive to Corozal to deliver construction materials for a new church being built there. Their partner church of Ankeny Pres is helping with funds for that. We got back from there about 10:30 and I’ve been at the computer ever since. There are 3 delegations coming in February and I’m working on finalizing agendas and budgets for them … I have been asked to make a 3-5 minute video for their churches fund-raising for their partner community so I’ve had to write that script … I’ll actually video tape it tonight. We have about 60 high school students coming for their first scholarship payout tomorrow so I had to get all the receipts and cash ready to hand out. I’ve done some random translating … answered a bunch of small to middle sized emails (with many more yet to go) and typed up another community census.

Those are my excuses … I think I’ll stick with them.

I’m tired but I feel good about being so productive. Believe it or not, I do have some random moments of boredom. Not many … but I prefer to be busy. Maybe not THIS busy.

Yet to do: get fertilizer information out to the partner churches who want to purchase again this year. I need to write up the report for the construction of the church in Corozal from our visit this morning. I love to do those reports though. It is more like a blog with pictures with a progress report. Not a stressful task. I need to make the video and check out all the random papers piled on the desk from the last two weeks which will inevitably provide more opportunities for tasks.

Tomorrow will be busy with students and their parents coming and going all day. I look forward to that though. Education is an incredibly important piece in the hope of ending a cycle of poverty.

I think that will do for now.

I might give you a little mini update on the church construction when I’m done with it because it was such a wonderful visit this morning. But I’ll give you that tomorrow so you will have something to look forward to.

No comments: